Saturday, June 15 at approximately 1 am, Pacific Standard Time, we’ll enter the Full Moon in Sagittarius. Sagittarius energy is known to be fiery and passionate so we’ll be asked to tap into our inner Lizzo and speak our truth.
This is also a full moon though and it’s goal is to help us tap into our dreams, and fine tune our intuition so we can find the right path forward. This is the last full moon before we jump into a bunch of eclipses, so we’re preparing. This moon will give us ideas, hints, and little breadcrumbs if we listen closely enough. It’ll tell us what needs to be removed, released, resolved and cleared in order to continue moving forward.
Why is this called a Strawberry Moon, you wonder? According to NASA, “The Maine Farmer’s Almanac first published Indian names for the full Moons in the 1930’s. According to this almanac, the full Moon in June or the last full Moon of Spring is known as the Strawberry Moon, a name universal to just about every Algonquin tribe. The name comes from the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries in northeastern North America. An old European name for this full Moon is the Mead Moon or the Honey Moon. The tradition of calling the first month of marriage the “honeymoon” dates back to at least the 1500’s and may be tied to this full Moon, either because of the custom of marrying in June or because the “Honey Moon” is the “sweetest” Moon of the year. Europeans also called this the Rose Moon. Some believe this name comes from the color of the full Moon at this time of year. The orbit of the Moon around the Earth is almost in the same plane as the orbit of the Earth around the Sun (only about 5 degrees off). When the Sun appears highest in the sky near the summer solstice.”
So how do you balance the Sweetness of this moon, with the Fiery energy of Sagittarius and the need to Release as any Full Moon bids? I’ll share what I’ve done and you can alter whatever steps you like to suit yourself.
Sagittarius Strawberry Full Moon Release for June 15, 2019 (this can really be done anytime between June 14-24)
Make sure you’ve got:
- Cleansing tool (incense, smudge sticks, oils, etc)
- Candle (For this moon, I’ve got an orange, blue, green, red, gold and purple candle, but any will do. I use the candles to tap into the Sagittarius energy and align my chakras)
- Bowl of water or container to safely dispose of burned paper
- Old wheel/Garland (I build and cut away ties from my old bicycle spoke and decorate it with leaves and flowers. The wheel is the cycle of life and the flowers are symbols of the summer solstice and they smell sweet to me!)
- Mediation Music. You can find many wonderful free soundtracks on YouTube or you can listen to the soundtrack from Final Fantasy. Seriously, anything that helps put you in a state of relaxation will work.
Let’s get started!
- Cleanse your space with whatever tool you selected. Cleanse your aura as well. Just repeat whatever comes into your mind. Think of your space becoming bright, filled with light. Becoming clear, filled with love. Imagine your aura shinning brightly as well. If you need specific phrases to repeat, there are thousands of wonderful resources on Google.
- Cut some yarn and begin tying it to the bottom of your wheel. Ties as many yarn strings to the bottom as items/people/beliefs that you want to release. You’ll use this wheel again during the New Moon when you’re setting new intentions and wishes. During New Moons you’ll be tying yarn around the spokes, with the idea of filling it up with all your positive intentions. Whether that’s to re-forge family ties, get a better paying job, find your soulmate or just get a new car! For this Full Moon however, we’re tying the strings to the bottom of the spoke. Each piece of yarn that’s tied to the end should represent something or someone you need to release, remove or clear in your life. Take some time to think about what’s been frustrating you. What doesn’t serve you. You’re the only one who will see this so be honest with yourself.
- Now close your eyes and breathe. Sit still for 10 minutes and listen to your thoughts. Be kind to yourself and try to focus on your breathing, in and out. If your mind wanders, it’s okay! Just bring your focus back to your breath. It helps if you set a timer on your phone or just ask Alexa to remind you when 10 minutes is up.
- Take the paper and start to write down:
- Something or Someone from your past that you would like to release. Maybe a belief about yourself. A person who hurt you. It could be anything. Write as much detail as you like.
- Something or Someone from your present that you would like to release.
- Once you’ve written it down, don’t go back and read it! We’re releasing it, not re-committing it to memory. 😀 Roll the piece of paper up and tie it to the bottom of one of the yarns. Do this for each yarn/paper you have.
- Now hold your scissors over the first yarn/paper and say, “I release all people, places and things that are not part of my path.” Now snip that yarn right off the bottom of the wheel spoke so both the yarn and paper are no longer hanging from the wheel.
- Take that piece of yarn and paper and hold it over the candle to light it. Place it in the burning container or in the bowl of water before the flames get too hot. Safety is very important so if you don’t have a safe way to burn this away, you can always roll up the yarn around the paper and throw it away. The idea is that we’re removing what is holding us back. You can still light the candle or use a battery operated candle if safety is a concern, to bring in the fiery energy of Sagittarius.
- Repeat steps 6 & 7 until all the yarn/paper are gone from the bottom of the wheel.
- Close your eyes, breathe deeply and give thanks.
Don’t forget to clean up after yourself too! During this time, listen to feelings or ideas that might pop up. Be curious about conversations you might overhear. Pay attention to your dreams. Clues about what’s coming next and how you can move forward will be coming through.
I’m always learning too and I’ve made so many missteps, but I’ve learned to be kinder to myself. Everything happens when it should so don’t be upset if you don’t see changes occurring right away. Redwoods don’t grow overnight.